Friday, June 24, 2011

Gurus, and More Experiences From the Meditation File

The purpose of this post is twofold: one, to share another experience I've had recently from meditation, and two, to ask (yet another) question of my audience. Again, I know my odds of getting an answer through the comments system is low, but I figured it doesn't hurt to try.

First, the recent meditation experience...and this one is interesting.

As usual I followed the routine set forth by the Art of Living class I took, and afterwards chanted the Ganesha mantra for my meditation. As I was chanting, though, what happened was my voice was...altered somehow. I don't know if it was something in my throat or dryness or what, but my voice changed pitch and grew quieter. It climbed in pitch and lowered in volume.

I'm not sure what that means...I don't know if it was just a coincidence or if something supernatural happened. It still felt like my voice, but as I chanted this phenomenon happened automatically and gradually. Maybe supernatural is too strong a word for what happened, but my voice...I just know something happened to it. I'm not sure what.

Anyway, onto the other question: I know to properly learn Hinduism I have to find a guru, or at least that's what some sources tell me. But I'm not too familiar with what makes a guru; I know Sri Sri Ravi Shankar of the Art of Living organization is recognized as one, but that's all I know about it. What makes a guru? For that matter, what gurus are around today?

This is an innocent question I have on my mind, as I don't know and genuinely want to know. If any readers care to comment on it, feel free.

No comments:

Post a Comment