Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Desires on the Day of Diwali

Namaste readers,

This time of year is the time of Diwali, the Festival of Lights, or so I heard...so I wish everyone reading this blog a Happy Diwali! May it bring you prosperity. :)

One thing I've noticed this year is that my birthday, which was last weekend, seemed to be close to Diwali this time around. If I remember correctly, the traditional calendar of India is based on the moon as opposed to the sun, so that results in the dates for holidays being different; I guess I sort of find it auspicious that Diwali is close to my birthday this year. I was thinking about, therefore, what I would really want, what I would consider prosperity in my life...kind of selfish, I know, but I figured I'd share it anyway, not because I would expect it, but so that readers can have a better idea of my mind.

Something that I love to do, actually, is travel, but sadly, the only time I've ever left the USA was on a vacation with my dad to Mexico. Now that I've embraced the Sanatana Dharma, one thing I know I would love to do someday is visit India. Not as a tourist mind you, but as a pilgrim - I'd love to visit areas holy to Lord Ganesha!

Problem is, I don't know where in India that would be...or how I would get there. Money is definitely an issue - I barely make enough to get by, let alone travel abroad!

I know I can't always get what I want, but I can say my wishes aloud, can't I? ;) Maybe Lord Ganesha will shower Hia blessings on me next Diwali.

Thanks for reading this, readers. It's always good to share hopes and dreams. :)

1 comment:

  1. When you have the chance someday, you should do the Ashtavinayaka yatra pilgrimage in Maharashtra. These are the eight temples of Lord Ganesh.
    I think it's definitely ok to have desires, as long as we don't become attached to them. We should simply acknowledge the desires, and then let them go like a balloon.

    ReplyDelete